Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Broken Promise


Dear Akhil,

"I love you Namrata, I will be there for you always, I will marry you once I come back" these are the   last words I heard from you :). I can still hear them when I remember you. I had never met a person who showed some respect to me, who cared me, who made me laugh. I was all alone from childhood. My parents thought I was a curse to them. I used to feel bad at first, but I used to console myself thinking there will be someone for me.This is my first letter to you. Eventhough you told me hundred times before to write a letter to you I dint.I never felt like writing. But today I want to express the feelings I have.

I am an orphan Akhil!! I lied to you and I always refused to take you to my house. My parents left me when I was 10. They dint want me to be their child, they just left me in a railway station. I still wonder how I grew!!.But I am not worried about it because I have you.

I cant write more my eyes are full of tears of JOY for the first time in my life. I am waiting for you.
Hope you come soon.

Your Namrata
20/05/05


Today is Monday exactly three years after 20/05/05. Its the story about 6 years ago. I was working in a small company as accountant. I was 24. I was with my family and was leading the life of a middle class person.

The girl who always reminds me about PROMISE i.e, Namrata, she was my colleague  I never used to talk with anyone else much.But I don't know there was a charm in her to make everyone feel happy. She used to spread smile everywhere. Day by day I started liking her and started talking with her.

We used to help each other in work, we used to share our food. As the days passed we became close and started sharing our feelings. It was always me who used to talk and I never cared to ask about her!!. But she always used to listen to me like a mother and used to give suggestions to all my questions.She taught me what is life.She taught me to be human.

I was totally in love with her. I said that to her many times and she used to smile for that. She never said anything.I was a dumb who couldn't understand that she also liked me.

That day was 05 August 2004, Manager called me and told that I had got an opportunity to travel to Germany and I cant ignore that. I was happy about that and told Namrata about that. She was also happy and told me to come back soon. I went home and informed the family that I will be leaving on 10th August.

One month later I got a message from my family that they have a looked a girl for me and I should marry her. I was shocked!!. I was not getting what to do!!. I told them saying I cant marry anyone now and I need time. But they were not listening to me. I was helpless and I was not in a position to talk to Namrata about this also!!I acted like a fool and married to the girl my family showed me and dint even inform Namrata regarding this.

After few months later on 21st May 2005 I got a call from my colleague Priya that Namrata passed away. I was completely blank. I dint know where she was staying!!. I went to that Priya's home and took her address and went. Only few people had gathered there.
One person came near me and asked me "Are you Akhil?". I said "yes". He gave me a letter. I asked him "what happened to her?"
He said " She had been to my home last night, she was very happy, she gave us the halwa she prepared and she went!!"
A doctor was there and I asked him "how she died?". He said "She was completely normal, she dint take poison or some pills,it might be a heart attack!"

Then a thought flashed me "When you finish all your work and there is nothing pending, when you live everyday completely, your heart stops!!". It was her words!!
She lived the way she said. She had complete belief in me that I will come back. She was happy that day and she wrote that letter. In happiness she forgot everything and her heart stopped!!.

What a death!! When there is no limit for your life death is not death. Its just acceptance. She again taught me how to live!
I read this letter on this day every year to remind me about THE BROKEN PROMISE. It teaches me how to leave, how to share, how to make everyone happy!!

1 comment: